Career Firefighter - Enfield Vol. Fire Department
One Permanent Full-Time Position
Posted Date: Tuesday December 5, 2017
Closing Date: Tuesday December 12, 2017 at 4:00 pm
Download Posting: Enfield Fire Career Posting
Download Duties and Benifits: Enfield Fire Employee Duties and Benifits
Under the direction of the Fire Chief, the Firefighter is responsible for firefighting, emergency medical, rescue and other related services within the scope of the position. The Firefighter is responsible to operate fire apparatus and equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
The Firefighter is responsible for rapidly, efficiently and safely performing various duties under emergency situations, often in hazardous and stressful conditions. The firefighter also performs routine maintenance on firefighting vehicles, equipment and fire department facilities.
The Firefighter shall participate in programs such as: fire prevention and public safety education. The Firefighter may be responsible for emergency operations until command is assumed by an officer. A detailed job description is attached to this posting.
- Completion of High School or equivalent
- Current Certification of NFPA 1001 Firefighter Level 1 from an IFSAC or Pro Board
- Current Certification as a Medical First Responder
- Current Certification in Hazardous Materials Response (Operations Level) - NFPA Standard 472
- Class 3 Nova Scotia Driver’s License with Condition 03 Air Brake Endorsement
- Post-secondary education in a technical or non-technical area; certificate of apprenticeship or an acceptable equivalent are considered assets
- Microsoft Office computer skills
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Upon hire, the candidate must meet the department Bylaws.
- The candidate must be physically able to perform the demanding tasks of this position. Physical agility and fitness must be met and maintained.
- The candidate must be Bondable
- The candidate must be able to provide a clean Criminal Records Check
- The candidate must be able to provide confirmation of a Child Abuse Register Search
- The candidate must be able to provide a copy of the front and back of their Drivers License and a Drivers Abstract showing a safe driving record.
- The candidate must be able to provide proof of NFPA 1582 Standard (Hearing) / (Vision)
- A 12 month probationary period will be initiated upon hire, with regular performance evaluations.
- Candidate must be an active volunteer member outside of normal working hours
HOURS OF WORK
- Normal working hours Monday to Friday 7am -4pm (45 hour week)
- Candidate must attend the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Tuesday each month for training from 19:30 to 21:30
- The hours of work and days off may be subject to change at the discretion of the chief in order to meet operational requirements
- Enfield Volunteer Fire Department
- 273 Highway 2, Enfield, Nova Scotia B2T 1C8
- The position will be paid bi-weekly based on an annual salary of $41,000.
- Position will have 6 sick/personal days for the term
- Position will have 2 weeks (10 days) of vacation.
- RRSP plan
- Medical Coverage will start after three months, Medical Insurance paid at 50% by the Department and 50% by the employee
SELECTION PROCESS STEPS
- Following the closing date, those candidates moving on to the next step in the selection process will be notified. The next steps will be:
- Written Test
- Physical Fitness Assessment
- Reference Checks
- Security Clearances (driver's abstract, criminal record check, child abuse register search and bonding)
- Those qualified, interested candidates may submit a resume and cover letter including:
- Education, experience, as well as any qualifications and any training that are directly related to this position
- Email address and all applicable phone numbers
To submit an application, email your resume and cover letter to :
Chief Terry MacAloney
It is not necessary to send copies of Certifications/Diplomas with your resume and cover letter. The candidates chosen to attend the written test must bring copies of these documents that day for verification.
APPLICATIONS will be received until Friday December 12, 2017 at 4:00 pm.